- A few numbers
- 10,000,000 Christians
- 10 % Christian population
- 47 Communities assisted
- €980,430 In aid donated by l’Œuvre d’Orient
- Population: 94,798,827 inhabitants (95 inhabitants per km²)
- Official language: Arabic
- Form of government: Presidential Republic (Abdel Fattah Al-Sissi)
- The Copts are the largest religious minority in a country where the dominant religion is Sunni Islam (90 %).
- Interfaith attacks are not rare in Egypt, nor are attacks against the Coptic minorities and their places of worship. Religious intolerance appears to be on the rise as is sectarian violence against the Coptic community.
- Prior to the advent of Islam in the 7th century, Christianity was the predominant religion in Egypt; in fact it is one of the first countries to have embraced the faith.
- His Beatitude Theodore II is the patriarch of the Orthodox Coptic Church. His Beatitude Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak is the patriarch of the Catholic Coptic Church.
L’Œuvre d’Orient’s projects in Egypt
- L’Œuvre d’Orient supports 151 projects in Egypt (schools, hospitals, renovation) in 47 different communities. It also sends young volunteers to help the projects.